Thursday, April 19, 2007

Spring Fever... Durand this weekend

Oh man. It's GORGEOUS out. I work at the U of MN, and I'm sorta hoping that my building has a bomb threat so I can get out of here. That's just wrong though. But... man, it's GORGEOUS. Last time I was out, there was a bit of a stiff headwind, which made riding not quite as fun, but the sheer sunshine-y warmness made up for that.

That's one of my goals this season... ride even if it's windy out. Overcome hatred of headwind-- pretty much suck it up and DEAL.

Another goal is to be a slightly more sociable person. Part of that is being better at pointing out crap in the roads. -- But there is a weird sort of etiquette and balance to that. Some groups point out -everything-... stuff that I sorta classify as minutiae-- horizontal seams in the road... a dusting of sand... the white line. My pointing to stuff is more minimalist.. Holes that will eat your wheel, big ass chunks of glass, steel cheese graters on the road... You know the big stuff. So, I promise I'll try to remember to point out manhole covers and medium sized holes.

Another goal is to master the wave. I have to admit, I'm a klutz who's not exactly in great shape. Thusly, I'm MUCH better at the head nod. Unfortunately, the head nod is a much more subtle greeting than the wave... so those who are counting waves, taking names, and making a list may miss the head nod. So... list makers.. keep an eye peeled.

In exchange, I will try to wave to other people I see, but I reserve the right to use the head nod as a greeting, if I'm at the intense point of my workout, trying to get home before I bonk, or climbing a big ass hill.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Eclectchick said...

There's that other ssssuper ssssecret sssssignal, too.

Guess we should demo that next time, eh?

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger manda said...

hells... yeah.. ;)

though I usually say... -DAMN.. yum- when that happens.

is there a signal, if you wanna break and chase 'em? (i've found it helps my craptastic chasing skillz.)

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't even read your post yet, I am too busy cleaning up the soy milk I snorted out of my nose because of that cat! Sheesh. I hope your post is just as good.
Barb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home